"> ');


The South African Department of Home Affairs have strict rules as to
what documents are needed to ensure your wedding is registered.

As a Registered Marriage Officer since 2003, I abide by these requirements as set out by the DHA.



**Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the requirements from couples and other details, as set out at the South African Department of Home Affairs website.

  • **From a South African Bride and Groom, I need:

    • South African ID books / cards.

    • 3 x passport-size photos of each of you.

    • a letter from your Attorney, (not the contract) if a pre-nup / marriage contract has been signed. 

  • If either is divorced: a copy of the Divorce Certificate (Final Decree of Divorce).

  • If either is widowed: a copy of the Death Certificate.

  • From your two witnesses, I need:

    • a clear copy of their South African ID book / ID card (both sides).

  • From Foreigners I need:

    • Copy of Passport.

    • Copy of the entry stamp in your passport.

    • Copy of Visa.

    • A Letter of No Impediment, issued by your Embassy / Consulate.

    • (these must be in English or translated into English)



Requirements, documents and registration process details from South Africa Department of Home Affairs.

Sample of The Marriage Register DHA-30 (the book that is signed by the bride, groom and witnesses).

- Understanding The Unabridged Marriage Certificate (and Abridged Marriage Certificate).

- About Apostille, how does it work?

- The Letter of No Impediment, how does it work?


Contact me if you have any questions about this.


Copyright © 2021 The Wedding Guy. All rights reserved.